LASIK

Today I’m coming out of left field. A coworker of mine recently had LASIK surgery. She was previously far sighted and in the corrective process she was told that she would only need reading glasses.

Well it’s been almost three months and she can only see about 8-10 feet away clearly and everything past that is a blur. To add insult to injury, the doctor turned her old pair of glasses into reading glasses so she has no glasses at all. She either has to drive really slowly at night or get in before dark hits.

Having worn glasses from age fourteen (and hating it horribly), when the idea of LASIK was broached, I read everything about it that I could put my hands on and decided that it wasn’t for me. Something about the possible loss of vision just didn’t sit well with me.

I don’t mean to sound harsh or anything, but if I’m going to spend $4,000 for a procedure, and said procedure affects my eyes, I’d almost want to hold the doctor’s first born hostage until I feel that I know everything there is to know about the procedure and then some.

It amazes me that my coworker was surprised when I mentioned the possibility that the procedure might need to be redone. This! From the same woman who has a heart attack if a piece of paper is misfiled! Well to be fair, accurate filing is a necessity for the smooth operation of business, but it's just that I expected the same passion when it came to her eyes--but maybe that’s just me?

Anyway, I did a search on the web and came up with the FDA’s website and forwarded the information to her. For those of you who’ve thought about LASIK here are the links:

LASIK eye surgery
What is LASIK?
When is LASIK not for me?
What are the risks and how do I find the right doctor for me?
What should I expect, before during and after surgery?
LASIK checklist
FDA- approved Lasers
FAQ’S
Glossary
Other Resources

Comments

Popular Posts