Review: Help! Mom! There Are Liberals Under My Bed


Hi Folks,

Here it is, my first review for Mind and Media's blog for books program. It's a great program that's beneficial to publishers and authors. The publisher or author sends the books to Stacy, CEO of Mind and Media and she disseminates them to a reviewer base of about one hundred. A reviewer gets a book by show of interest on a first come first served basis and in return the reviewer reads and reviews said book.

Upon receipt the book becomes the property of the reviewer. That's right, FREE books. (There is however a $25 fee when first applying to become a Mind and Media reviewer. This fee serves to separate the lookie loos from the serious reviewer. After that no other fee is ever charged--unless you receive and retain a book you never review, then there is a penalty charge of $50.)

That being said, I received a copy of Help! Mom! There Are Liberals Under My Bed! from Stacey and I don't recall ever requesting it because my political savvy is about as good as Forrest Gumps ability to see the bad in people.

However, as I mentioned in the post King, I've been avoiding politics for as long as I can remember, but lately it seems to be knocking on my back door, so, since it's a children's book I answered it.

When I first began to read the book I worried about it being another overly preachy book, but as I continued reading and the author got into her stride I found myself chuckling as I sat in the waiting room of the doctor's office. Heck, even I could figure out some of the characters being razzed.

The author hits on quite a few topics:

1) Work ethic;
2) over taxation;
3) Inappropriate use of tax dollars;
4) Plight of the poor and hungry; and (my personal favorite)
5) Separation of church and state.

Overall I found the book a good read. It contained humor and some great illustrations, my only concern is that I loaned it to my nine-year-old nephew, a gifted student, who is at times more intuitive than his sixteen year old sibling. My brother-in-law was a political science major so my nephew can't avoid overhearing political discussions.

When innocently asked his opinion of the book, his answer, "I didn't understand it."

Comments

Popular Posts